I’m going to jump right into this one:
- Art Deco Weekend – usually in February, this event has so many free ‘must do’s’ I don’t even know where to start
- Marine Parade
- You can’t beat Te Mata Peak on a fine days for views over the Hawkes Bay
- Hastings Farmers Market is held every Sunday and is simply amazing.
- Visit the Tom Parker Fountain (on the Marine Parade) after dark.
Balls Clearing – Patoka – Pack a picnic, drive out into the countryside and enjoy this podocarp forest
- Botanical gardens
- Bluff hill look out has awesome views try to be here for sunrise or sunset
- Bluff hill cemetery – possibly a little morbid but a brilliant historical cemetery
- Ahuriri Estuary – a brilliant walk for bird watching. Recommend going at low tide so you can take in the southern side of the estuary too
- On the Marine Parade you also have the Sound Shell, the Sunken Gardens and the clock tower as well as the paved path to walk along the beach
- Napier has an Urban Street Market on Saturdays
- Both Napier and Hastings have a large number of Art Deco and Art Nouveaux style buildings (You can buy a map of these from the I-site on the Marine Parade or with a little research plan your own route for free)
Bonus: Drive out to Puketitiri and into the Kaweka Ranges and enjoy a soak in the Mohaka hot springs (*technically not within my definitions but as Napier is the closest town I’m breaking the rules)
I feel like I’ve left out something important. Any suggestions, feel free to comment…